After Alex Pretti's killing, a battle of narratives

亚历克斯·普雷蒂遇害之后,一场叙事之战爆发。

Post Reports

2026-01-27

31 分钟
PDF

单集简介 ...

The killing of 37-year-old ICU nurse Alex Pretti on Saturday morning marks a dramatic escalation of what was already a very tense moment for Minneapolis.  Just a day before, thousands of residents marched in a citywide strike organized by faith leaders and labor unions. They were protesting U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement actions in the state, including the fatal shooting of 37-year-old Renée Good by an ICE officer earlier this month.  Although it is not clear how Pretti’s interaction with federal agents began on Saturday, bystander footage reviewed by The Post raises questions about Homeland Security’s account of what happened. On Saturday, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said Pretti – a legal gun owner, who was carrying a gun in or near his waistband when he was killed – had been committing an act of domestic terrorism. According to a Post analysis, federal agents had already secured the handgun he was carrying by the time they fatally shot him. Today on “Post Reports,” host Martine Powers speaks with national reporter Kim Bellware about the death of Alex Pretti – why many people are worried that his death won’t get a thorough investigation, and how this encounter is raising important questions around America’s gun debate. Today’s show was produced by Elana Gordon and Rennie Svirnovskiy with help from Sabby Robinson. It was edited by Ariel Plotnick and mixed by Sean Carter. Thanks to Annie Gowen, Lauren Gurley and Gina Harkins.  Follow the latest in The Post’s Minneapolis coverage here. Subscribe to The Washington Post here. And watch us on YouTube here.
更多

单集文稿 ...

  • The killing of Alex Pretti on Saturday morning is a dramatic escalation of what was already a very tense moment for Minneapolis.

  • Now,

  • Minnesota Governor Tim Walls is calling on President Trump to pull immigration officers out of Minneapolis.

  • Trump says he is sending Borders R.

  • Tom Homan to Minneapolis.

  • And in court,

  • a federal judge is ruling on whether Department of Homeland Security operations in the city are legal.

  • It's a critical time for a city that is still in shock over Pretty's death and outraged at video footage that shows what transpired in the moments before he was shot by Border Patrol.

  • For many Minneapolis residents, there is anger and there's intense fear.

  • You can hear that from 35-year-old Ben Porter,

  • who spoke to one of our reporters in South Minneapolis.

  • Every instance of violence and every video you see,

  • there's a gut-wrenching moment where you realize that this is not in any way, shape, or normal.

  • Ben said that he has never felt more afraid and anxious on a daily basis.

  • It's the same sort of sentiment that you would encounter to cities and communities that have been affected by natural disasters.

  • But in this case, the disaster is the federal government attacking us.

  • From the newsroom of the Washington Post, this is Post Reports.

  • I'm Martine Powers.

  • It's Monday, January 26th.

  • Today,